Home Research & Publications Research Report
LAST UPDATE : 2016-01-01
|Subject||The development of a complex mechanical system that peels the fruit......|
Ⅰ. Title : The development of a complex mechanical system that peels the fruit, removes the ovary, divides and slices the fruit.
Ⅱ. Performance Compared to Goal
Ⅲ. Purpose and Needs of R&D
- To develop a complex mechanical system that can peel the fruit, remove the ovary,
divide and slice into desired number of pieces.
- To develop a mechanical system that operates continuously to increase efficiency.
- To make each feature adjustable for wider selection of users.
- To make it possible to adjust the number of pieces and the thickness of slices.
Ⅳ. Contents and Scope of R&D
To develop an automated peeling and slicing system for cafeterias in schools, army
bases, and companies and apple processors.
？ To improve the inefficiency of the existing fruit peelers that simply peel the fruit.
- The existing fruit peelers simply peel the fruit and require additional labor to remove
the ovary, divide into pieces, and slice the pieces. Also, it requires too much cost
and space to purchase and install the peeler, divider, and slicer separately to reduce
efficiency and productivity. Therefore, a convenient mechanical system has been
developed to peel, remove the ovary, divide and slice the fruit all with one
？ To develop a mechanical system that can adjust the number of pieces and the
thickness of slices.
- As the number of pieces and the thickness of slices can vary according to the size
and purpose of apples, the system can adjust the number of pieces and the thickness
of slices as desired.
- Number of pieces (able to remove the ovary without dividing or divide into 2, 4, 6,
8, 12, and 16 pieces).
- Thickness of slices: 3mm ∼ 8mm
？ Designed for users to adjust each feature to peel, remove the ovary, divide,
and slice the fruit.
- Users can conveniently adjust the system and easily choose to divide and slice the
fruit without peeling or to peel and remove the ovary without dividing as desired.
？ The efficiency of peeling
- The thickness of peel should not exceed 2T (±0.5T) and the peeling speed should be
fast enough to process more than 10 fruits per minute.
？ Compact and lightweight design.
- The design is compact and lightweight to replace the existing three systems without
taking as much space for cafeterias and kitchens with limited space availability.
？ Continuous operation
- The existing peeler was partially manual and required users to insert the fruit,
remove the fruit after peeling, and insert another fruit to restart the machine after
each fruit. As the old system was very inefficient, a continuously operating system
？ Study of adjustment to abnormal-shaped fruit
- The fruit should be inserted into the rotating probe through the center, and the center
of the ovary-removing cutter passes through the probe to remove the center of fruit
to remove the ovary of abnormal-shaped fruit.
- With a spring installed on the peeling rod, the peeling rod always stays on the
surface of fruit even when the surface of fruit is uneven. Therefore, the peeler can
peel fruit in any shape.
Ⅴ. Outcomes of R&D
We have achieved satisfying results for most of the purpose of R&D and completed
fabricating samples of the mechanical system that can peel fruit, remove the ovary,
divide and slice the fruit. We have participated in the 2015 Seoul International Food
Industry Fair to supply the product to ‘Cheongsong-gun Agricultural Technology
Support Center‘ and prepare for commercialization of the product. We have also
applied for patent to secure industrial property rights.